PETRONAS Twin Towers
Petronas Twin Towers, pair of skyscraper office buildings in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The Twin Towers, built to house the headquarters of Petronas, the national petroleum company of Malaysia. This twin tower were designed by Cesar Pelli; they were completed in 1998. The plan for each tower is identical: an 8 lobed circular structure that contains 88 stories of occupiable space and a pyramid shaped pinnacle surmounted by a slender steel spire. To read this article, follow us on the Eligasht Magazine.
In fact, PETRONAS Twin Towers Both rise to a height of 1,483 feet, which includes 242 feet for pinnacle and spire. Each building is supported by 16 large columns around its perimeter which, along with the rest of the frame, are made of high strength, steel reinforced concrete rather than of structural steel; the exterior sheathing consists of stainless steel and glass.
A skybridge two stories tall links the two towers between the 41st and 42nd stories. In 1996, after the spires had been attached to the buildings, the Petronas Twin Towers were declared the world’s tallest buildings, eclipsing the former record holder, the 110 story Sears Tower in Chicago. The roof of the Sears Tower was actually more than 200 feet or 60 metres higher than those of the Twin Towers, but the spires on the towers’ pinnacles were regarded as integral parts of the overall architectural structure.
The Twin Towers, in turn, lost their preeminent status in 2003 after a spire was put in place atop the Taipei 101 building, in Taipei, Taiwan, and that structure reached a height of 1,667 feet or 508 metres.
Facts About PETRONAS Twin Towers
- The architect of the towers choose a postmodern design to create this icon of Kuala Lumpur. However the glass façade of the towers were designed to resemble Islamic motifs, reflecting Malaysian culture.
- It cost approx US 1.6 billion dollars to build the Petronas towers.
- The Petronas towers were the tallest buildings in the world until 2004, when the Taipei 101 in Taiwan overtook it. Currently the reigning tallest building is the Burj Khalifa in Dubai.
- Alain ‘Spiderman’ Robert a French Urban climber who has a penchant for climbing tall buildings scaled to the top of the towers in 2009 using only his bare hands, minus any safety equipments. It took him under 2 hours.
- Skybridge. The bridge connecting the two towers on the 41st and 42nd floor make for the world’s tallest skybridge. It took 3 days and 2 attempts to lift the skybridge to its present location.
- The Petronas towers have appeared in the backdrop of many Bollywood songs and movies.
- Austrian daredevil and skydiver Felix Baumgartner holds the world record for the highest parachute jump from a building. No points for guessing that the building in question is the Petronas tower, Kuala Lumpur.
- The towers are named after the main occupants of the building. The Petronas, the national oil company of Malaysia.
- The towers have a total of 32,000 windows!
- The Petronas towers have 88 stories. It has an observation deck on the 86th floor from where you can take in the spectacular view of Kuala Lumpur.
- There’s no word Petronas in English, and it’s not the exact name of a company. The word Petronas is short for the words “Petroliam Nasional”, which is the name of the Malaysian national petroleum company, the Twin Tower is named after Petroliam Nasional Company, as the company own the towers, and the Tower One is fully occupied by the company as its headquarters.
- A double-deck Sky Bridge is connecting the two towers on the 41st and 42nd floors, the skybridge is 58 meters long, at 170 meters high from the ground, it is considered the highest two-story skybridge in the world.
- The Sky Bridge between two towers is opened to public for sightseeing, visitors can access to the bridge to enjoy the close views of the city from above at a height of 170 meters. In the past, visiting the Sky Bridge was free of charge, since 2010 the owner of the towers started to sell the tickets of the observatory. Aside from the Sky Bridge, the 86th floor of Tower Two also holds an observation deck, visitors can access the observation deck from the Sky Bridge by taking another elevator. From there visitors can see the aerial view of the Tower One of the Twin Towers, as well as the most parts of the city of Kuala Lumpur.
best time to visit PETRONAS Twin Towers
Late Evening is the best time to visit Petronas Towers. This will also give you opportunity to see the Light and fountain show that generally starts at 7pm to 9pm and its just behind the Petronas tower.
things to do in PETRONAS Twin Towers
- Take a picture with Petronas Twins at the background. Probably the best view is at the far end of the long narrow fountain in front of the towers.
- Enjoy fountain in the park behind main entrance to the towers. There is light and music show in the evening. Music plays every day at 20.00, 21.00, 21.45. It usually lasts 10-15 minutes and they may play everything from classic to Malay pop songs. They may start earlier or later, so be patient.
- Come there twice at the day time and at night.
- Get to the sky bridge and the 86th floor.
- Spend some time under palm trees near water or with an awesome view to Petronas Twins.
- Go to the philharmonic hall.